Many of us start the New Year with resolutions to change habits. Come March many of those resolutions have bit the dust. Here are 5 keys to help you change bad habits based on the recently published book “The Power of Habit” by Charles Duhigg:
- Write down a clear statement of intention and include a timeline, “I want to … by …..” Post this intention on the bathroom mirror, the refrigerator, your office desk, etc.
- Garner support from your tribe – family, friends, people that are positive and you know will give you support. Ask and you shall receive.
- Practice becoming aware of the trigger(s) of your bad habits. Make a check mark (for at least one week) on an index card every time you feel the impulse towards your bad habit.
- Exchange a good habit for the bad habit. If your bad habit is eating too many fat laden foods, make a point of getting fresh fruits and vegetables into your regular diet.
- Believe that you can do it. If you don’t believe, you probably won’t be successful. If you don’t believe, you might consider consulting a therapist for assistance.